The vetting and barring scheme

As you may know, there’s a new system that’s been developed to try and protect chil­dren and vulner­able adults from abuse which means that a lot of people will have to register with an organ­isa­tion called the Independent Safeguarding Authority (the ISA), possibly as well as getting CRB checks (at least in the beginning).

This is a hope­fully help­ful and entirely unof­fi­cial summary of the inform­a­tion they’ve put on their website, and this one’s entirely in web form, for the crit­ics!

Who does­n’t need to register?

  • Anyone under 16
  • If you’re a friend look­ing after a child or vulner­able adult with no contract or partic­u­lar expect­a­tion of payment, that’s fine. It’s the same if you’re a family member (which includes living in the same house and treat­ing each other as family).
  • If you’re a parent or friend of the child or adult who needs care and you hire someone to look after them, you don’t need to register, but all other employ­ers do.

If you’re not chan­ging your job or volun­teer­ing role you don’t have to apply until 2011, but employ­ers will prob­ably be asking you to apply earlier than that to get the paper­work over with.

If you’re a parent or guard­ian employ­ing home tutors, nannies or carers you can check if they’re registered with the ISA or not. If they’re on the banned list they should­n’t be look­ing after kids or vulner­able people, though – that’s illegal.

Who does need to register?

If you’re apply­ing for a new job or take up a new role from October 2009 you need to apply to the ISA, and get a CRB check. There’ll be a combined form out later on so you don’t have to do them separ­ately. (Ed: I think this is right, but I’m not entirely sure)

You need to be registered (either now or even­tu­ally) if you:

  • Look after kids and vulner­able adults a lot, overnight, or have a lot of contact for short amounts of time, for example: teach­ing, train­ing, care, super­vising, advising, treat­ing kids or vulner­able adults, and ferry­ing people around.
  • Are foster parents or look after foster­ing arrangements
  • Are employed in childcare
  • Are a school governor, director of social services or a trustee of some char­it­ies – any posi­tions of author­ity which give you respons­ib­il­ity for the welfare of childrens/vulnerable adults.

What is ISA regis­tra­tion going to involve?

The form isn’t out yet so we don’t know much about it. It will hope­fully be out by October 2009.

This is what we do know:

  • you will need to supply valid ID with your application
  • if when you apply the ISA find anything relev­ant they need to tell you about it.
  • if they find noth­ing then they have to tell you that too – unless you’ve applied for an enhanced CRB check at the same time (where they will tell you anything you find anyway).
  • you’ll be checked regu­larly to make sure the info is up to date and you haven’t done anything that would mean you get barred.
  • you will have to pay a small fee, unless you’re a volun­teer and then it’s free.

If you’re no longer work­ing with chil­dren or vulner­able adults and can prove it, you can ask the ISA to stop record­ing you.

Who can see my info?

  • Your employer can only see that you have registered, they can’t see the details.
  • ISA case work­ers and the police will be able to see details.
  • If you’re on a register like the Teaching Council or Medical Council, the people who look after the register are allowed to find out whether you’re registered with the ISA, barred, or being invest­ig­ated for possible barring.

What happens after I’ve got my registration?

Once you’ve got your ISA regis­tra­tion, your employ­ers, social care agen­cies, local author­it­ies and other public health organ­isa­tions will have to report to the ISA on the way you act with the chil­dren or vulner­able adults in your care.

Parents and private compan­ies that want to bring the ISA’s atten­tion to your beha­viour will have to go through an intermediary.

If you harm a child or vulner­able adult, cause them harm indir­ectly, put them at risk of getting hurt, attempt to harm them, or if you ask or encour­age someone else to hurt them, it may go on your record or get you put on the barred list.

If I’m barred, can I work with chil­dren or vulner­able adults at all?

If you are on a barred list, you can still do these things as long as your employer makes sure things are safe and within the rules:

  • Support work in a general health settings, the NHS and further educa­tion. (Like clean­ers, care­takers, shop work­ers, cater­ing staff, car park attend­ants and receptionists.)
  • If you work for an organ­isa­tion that has access to sens­it­ive records about chil­dren and vulner­able adults.
  • Support work in adult social care. (Like day centre clean­ers and those with access to social care records.)

So what’s illegal now that wasn’t before?

You can be sent to prison or fined up to £5000 for newly employ­ing an unre­gistered or barred person to work with chil­dren or vulner­able adults. It’s illegal for employ­ers not to check if somone is registered.

It’s also illegal to do anything you have to be registered to do, if you are not registered or you’re barred.

The follow­ing two tabs change content below.

Corinne Pritchard

Information Designer at Simply Understand
I believe design and design­ers can and should make the world a better place. I love design­ing things that help people under­stand complex ideas.

Latest posts by Corinne Pritchard (see all)

7 thoughts on “The vetting and barring scheme

  1. Excellent summary, thanks. Bit worry­ing though. If I read this correctly you could be placed on a barred list on the basis of accus­a­tions made by “employ­ers, social care agen­cies, medical staff and other people”. The “other people” being espe­cially worrying.One comment about the summary “Are a school governor, director of social services and trustee of some charities“Should that be an “or” and not an “and” there?Yours pedantically .… 

  2. I looked it up again and wasn’t quite right. Parents / organ­isa­tions that aren’t to do with public social care need to go to a separ­ate organ­isa­tion that will pass on any relev­ant claims. 

  3. Just a quick note to say that I absoad­lutely loved your comment on the Telegraph’s airlcte about cupcakes/bunny girls/50s fash­ion — very well put!Best wishes,Shikhita

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.